Wednesday 9 November 2022

(Revised) What you can assign to the Fn buttons (OM-D E-M1 Mark III)

Revision 2

When I initially got my new-to-me Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III, I thought it was just the good ol E-M1 but with more features. Well, in some ways it is, but in many ways, it's a whole different level of camera. There is higher image performance, courtesy of the newer image sensor with higher res and less long exposure high ISO noise, but the camera handles really differently.

At first glance, the new camera body has only one more physical control, the autofocus joystick, the sophistication of the camera has endowed it with heaps of finer behavioural tweaks. This may have been what we have been crying out for when we had the E-M1 original version but the sheer number of detailed adjustments possible means that over enthusiastic assignment to buttons will make this newer camera unpredictable, act with a mind of its own, against your expectations.

I've had this camera refuse to autofocus with the LCD screen swung out. Another time, the camera went into video mode prior to starting a movie when it supposed to be on stills shooting. The ISO could change unexpectedly. So on and so forth.

I've reassigned the Custom Function Buttons several times. Below is my latest revision. 

Note: It's not the assignment of the Button to the Role that is important it's more the Rationale for that assignment because the choices are very personal.


My work-in-progress background thoughts are in my brain for this topic. 

No comments: