Saturday 1 January 2011

What’s my motivation?

Unlike professional photographers, amateur photographers don’t have the simple expedient of picking income as the reason behind their photos. And, unlike the non-photographers – those who consciously identify themselves as “I’m not a photographer”, the keen amateur photographer must be guided by some motivation or go rudderless snapping at anything and everything with equal abandon. Newbies with an expensive camera keep asking “Am I ok? Is this ok?” – funny, they don’t ask this when they have a cheaper camera – they just go ahead and shoot.

Looking at the Vivian Maier collection, I’m awed. Impressed with why she shot, what she shot. Then I look at my own work and I ask myself, why. Would I come back and look at my own photos? Do they satisfy some inner urge in me?

No comments: