Friday 9 March 2018

Look up - can you see the sky from here?

Each place has unique nuances and scenes that regular inhabitants become blind too. The detail is so mundane and you see it repeatedly in your daily life, 365 days a year that it is no longer something you notice. I find when I leave a place and come back after some time away, I notice things.

Detail of old facade on Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Kuala Lumpur
So, I'm here, looking up, waving my camera around like a tourist.  Here's what I enjoyed and became a nugget of memory in my mind. It isn't created to be a poster photo to sell cameras for a brand. It isn't created to be Fine Art Photo for the discerning connoisseur of taste (at least I don't think so). It's too real to be desired as a stock photo. It's not in the category of varied travel photos that some young dude Youtuber will place on Instagram to gain sponsorship. It's not an avant garde, modern trend street photo with strong graphic elements. But it's my photo.

It presents my glimpse of old KL. Before the modern, super polished glass and cladded skyscrapers became so dominant. It's the facade of a pre-independence shop house, the roof long gone, without new paint. The weeds and tropical ferns have resumed their inexhaustible march to recover the scenes from man made brick and concrete. Some backlit leaves on a background of sky.

Stopped a moment. Breathe in the past and the present.


No comments: