Despite it all, the colours of the C series JPEGs are happy and presentable - the greens are punchy yet not over the top and so on.
Just today, I came across a forum posting that noted that the C series Ultrazooms can produce RAW files - with a lot of help from some Russian hacker forum. I tried it, haven't made up my mind whether it's worthwhile or successful. If you want to give it a go, here's what you have to do:
- Download OlyRAW program - it runs on Microsoft Windows PCs - I tried it on Windows 7 and it still works on that newer Windows. Keep that aside for a while.
- Take your C series camera and switch it on.
- Open the xD card compartment door. A red alert message will appear on the LCD screen.
- Hold down both Ok button and the switch LCD/EVF toggle button together for 3 seconds.
- The LCD display should now shows a two panel menu - cursor around the menu so that it reads USB -> CONTROL, press OK
- Now close the door, switch off.
- You will need a (currently) common USB to mini-USB generic cable (your C-series camera came with one). Attach the cable to the camera and the running computer
- Switch on the camera - the computer will acknowledge and the camera will display a 3 choice menu on the LCD. Choose PC on the camera.
- Run the OlyRAW program and tick the RAW Enabled checkbox, then click Ok on that dialog .
- Switch off the camera and disconnect.
- The camera will now create two files with a JPG extension each time you click. One file will be a real JPEG, the other will be an unusual RAW file but it will still have a .JPG file extension.
Processing the RAW file.
- When you want to process the RAW file, copy the file to your computer.
- You might want to rename the RAW file's .JPG extension to .BIN so that you do not get confused.
- You now need to run RawWork.exe to convert this RAW file to an .NEF file.
Note: The RawWork database does not have an entry for the C-750uz - there are entries for the C-770, C-765
Note: NEF, by the way, is the Nikon RAW file format.
When you don't want the C-series camera to produce RAW files anymore, you need to run the OlyRAW program and untick the RAW Enabled checkbox you ticked previously.
Disclaimer: These are instructions derived from the OlyRAW Russian website - play with your camera at your own risk - no liability is assumed if it becomes a useless brick.