And there are those to praise it, those who knock it, those who lust over it and those who ask why. This is for those who ask why.
Reasons why the OM-D / EM-5 exists
(In no particular order)
- Olympus needed to move on past the financial debacle.
- The Micro Four Thirds catalogue needed a higher end camera model.
- OM film SLR owners needed something new to hold on to.
- PEN lovers needed something a model when asking/asked - "where's the EVF?"
- The Micro Four Thirds catalogue needed a body to fit the FL-600 flash onto.
- Micro Four Thirds fans wanted a body with two adjustment dials
- Olympus needed a body to stick the 12-50mm kit lens to.
- The Micro Four Thirds catalogue needed a body that would allow lens designers to design bigger, brighter, tele lenses (which would dwarf PEN like bodies).
- Micro Four Thirds fans needed a weatherproof body.
- Micro Four Thirds fans wanted a magnesium body.
- Olympus needed to sell a new battery.
- Olympus needed a body to stick the battery grip and the landscape grip to.
- Olympus needed a body to fit the 5 axis IBIS mechanism to.
- You needed to plead with your spouse to feed your Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
- Four Thirds DSLR owners needed a reason to yearn for an E-5 / E-30 / E-620 replacement and another reason to ask "but will my Four Thirds lenses autofocus fast on this body?"
- Hump lovers just needed another body to love / vice versa for Hump Haters.